Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When in Rome. .


Lady Gaga's controversial performance at MTV's video music awards got me thinking about just where our culture is headed. The performance, where dancers used convincingly real wheel chairs and polio crutches, among other medical props, climaxed with Lady Gaga having fake blood spilling all over her stomach, as she ended the song hanging by her neck in a noose. Now I know MTV is at the forefront of youth culture, and thus tends to be a little edgy. And I also know that artists have the tendency to express themselves in all sorts of ways. But this really disturbed me, and I don't think of myself as overly sensitive. It also just seems to show broader patterns of just how accepted this blatant violence is becoming in our entertainment culture. Some have been commenting that our society is on the verge of decay, as decadence spreads, mirroring ancient Rome's tragic legacy. They may not be so far off.

No comments:

Post a Comment