Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Questioning Communism


I have been attempting some very detailed research on Vietnam, along with the rest of my GLC class, and have discovered that Vietnam operates as a Communist nation. This was intriguing to me, as I had ignorantly thought that all traces of communism had disappeared after the Cold War ceased. This all raises the question, how is this Communism different from and or the same as McCarthy's "red scare" version? More research will lead to greater insight, yet it seems clear right off the bat that Vietnam has citizens which prefer a strong leader in the name of sacrificing some freedoms which we would consider essential in the U.S. (the press is all under government control there). To me, communism always sounded like a nice idea on paper, yet history has shown that it is certainly a dangerous weapon in the hands of power-hungry and fallible leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment